Heavy rains cause major damage
This summer, heavy rain has flooded Chicago and the surrounding south suburbs including Homewood, Orland Park, Frankfort, and Mokena. We have even experienced record-setting downpours in May 2020. Unfortunately for homeowners, rain damage can include flooded basements, leaky roofs, and storm destruction. Whether your sump pump failed or you have water dripping from your ceiling, minimize the water damage by acting quickly!
The dangers of water in your home
First of all, know that water is the most destructive substance in your home. Floodwaters can wreck your home’s systems. Water damage may affect electricity, HVAC system, drywall, flooring, and furniture. Next, water causes rapid deterioration of your home’s structure. The damp and humid environment it creates in your basement is a breeding ground for toxic mold. Mold can cause serious health problems, especially to the respiratory system, and should be eliminated from your home as quickly as possible.
Steps to take after heavy rains damage your home
If you have water damage following heavy rains, or if your basement has flooded, take these simple steps.
- Take plenty of photographs of the water damage in your house.
- Call your insurance agent to find out if your homeowners insurance policy covers water or storm damage.
- Make a list of the water or storm damage to your home.
- Document any personal items that need to be replaced.
Seek immediate help from a professional water damage service provider, like DEL MAR. This is one of the best decisions you can make after your basement floods. DEL MAR’s team
- responds to most water and storm damage calls from across Chicago and the south suburbs within 24-48 hours.
- is accredited by the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification ( IICRC ).
- offers reliable water damage restoration services including water removal, mold remediation, content storage/cleaning, and basement remodeling.
- will determine if your property can be restored or if it should be replaced. We examine the amount of property damage, levels of contamination, and then compare replacement cost vs. restoration cost
If you are in Chicagoland and are experiencing water damage following a storm, contact DEL MAR by calling 1-800-298-0900. Please visit www.getdelmar.com to learn more about our water and storm damage restoration services.