Electric Space Heater SafetyIf you are trying to warm a small area or supplement the heat from your central unit, then a space heater is a good option when used safely. Here are tips for using a space heater safely:
- Do not use an extension cord. Instead, plug the heater into the outlet directly.
- Do not plug other high voltage appliances into the same outlet as a space heater.
- Always purchase a new space heater with safety features and Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL) label.
- Do not use a space heater that is too big or powerful for the space you are heating.
- Clear the space around the space heater, making sure items are not touching it.
- Never leave a space heater unattended or near children.
Fireplace safetyNext, the ambiance created by the glow and warmth of a fireplace sets the tone for a warm winter moment. However, when homeowners do not properly care for their fireplace, a serene situation easily ignites into a hazardous danger zone. Here are tips for maintaining the safety of your fireplace:
- Start by getting your chimney inspected, cleaned, and repaired annually.
- Select the right type of wood to burn, and never use chemicals in your fireplace.
- Next, use a spark screen in front of your fireplace to keep sparks from harming your home.
- Furthermore, check your carbon monoxide detectors.
- Lastly, have an updated fire extinguisher nearby when using your fireplace.
Other sources of heatFinally, here are articles we recommend reading to help you safely heat your home.
- How to Safely Use a Home Generator, Popular Mechanics
- How to Take Care of Your Radiators, Old House Online
- Heating Safety, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)